Rhythm Kids 2 is an exciting music, movement, and drumming class for children in Kindergarten through second grade (ages 5 through 8). Children integrate and assimilate rhythm into their lives, as they:
• learn multicultural drumming patterns;
• develop new repertoire on various percussion instruments;
• explore movement and dance while singing songs;
• play games based on music and drumming;
• have fun with a host of rhythm activities.
Rhythm Kids follows through on the Music Together® vision to help children complete the pathway of early childhood music development from birth through age 8. As part of the Rhythm Kids experience, children and their grownups can enjoy drumming play and practice sessions at home with the help of online play-along videos featuring Rhythm Kids creator Tom Foote.
Classes are for children K–2 (ages 5 through 8) and include:
• 10 weekly, 45-minute classes
• Animal Collection Songbook and CD each semester
• Access to online video tutorials and play-alongs
• Learn, create, discover and explore music, movement and drumming
• Enjoy age-appropriate ways to play rhythm instruments (shakers, tambourines, etc.)
• Explore traditional drumming patterns through animal names and movements
• Experience drumming, song, and dance from around the world (Mali, Puerto Rico, Turkey, etc.)
• Find new ways to connect mind, body, and voice through rhythm
• Develop skill in improvising, soloing, conducting, composition, and improvisation
• Participate in active musical games that are both enriching and totally fun!
This is an instrument-learning class, so your child will need a drum. Please ask your teacher about recommendations.
Our semester begins in April and runs for ten weeks; the first child fee (which includes all curriculum materials) is $168; siblings $111. The Winter collection is "TOUCAN!"
This Spring we'll explore the Toucan Collection, with drumming patterns from Brazil, heard on a song called "In Rio". Children will discover the fun of samba music and dancing with the song "Sambalele" - and even learn to sing in Portuguese! We'll learn to beatbox, as we dance and sing about our friends in "Bout My Friends". And, of course, we will sing, hop, and fly like Toucans over the rainforests of South America as we sing and drum along to "Two Toucans".
PLEASE NOTE - your child MUST have turned 5 by the first class.
IF YOUR CHILD IS ILL - please stay at home and get well! If you email firstname.lastname@example.org we'll be sure to let you know what you missed so you can continue to play at home until the next class. At this time we do not have make-up classes for Rhythm Kids.